Tuesday 7 August 2012

Saint George the Knight


I have been thinking a lot lately about how susceptible our young children are to branding and mass marketing. My kids were watching 'Mike the Knight' on ABC2 the other day and I thought,why not give them a role model like Saint George to emulate rather than Mike? So here's my offering, a helmet and shield so my kids can pretend to be Saint George and defeat dragons (which have always been a visual metaphor for Satan in artworks depicting Saint George).

What you'll need:An old cap
Cardboard (old cereal boxes are perfect)
Elastic (about 20cm)
Stapler
Coloured paper
scissors
Craft glue
Feather
Pipe cleaner

Instructions: Helmet: Adjust cap to fit your child's head. Cut out templates (below).Colour helmet template and using craft glue (and some pegs to hold it in place until it dries) glue helmet template to the back of your cap. Wind a pipe cleaner around top button of cap and use to attach feather. Use craft glue for extra hold.
Shield: Cut our template. Affix elastic to back of shield using stapler (I also covered the staples with masking tape).


Turn shield over and decorate.I chose a traditional sword design with 4 pictures which each represent something to do with Saint George. Crown: God's kindgom, Cross:Jesus, Sword: battle, soldier etc and a dragon: which represents our eternal struggle against sin and the devil.


I hope your kids have as much fun dressing up as Saint George as my kids do!

No comments:

Post a Comment